Curried Chicken Vol-au-Vents
This recipe makes 6 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||41 g|
|sat. fat||14 g|
- Portion size: 6
This striking curry offers a fresh taste and look with the flavour of sweet potatoes and the colour of curry.
- 6 6frozen puff pastry shells, baked and cooled slightly Coriander Paste:
- 1 cup 1cupchopped fresh coriander, leaves and stems
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupchopped mint leafmint leaves
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupchopped green oniongreen onions
- 1 1hot green chili peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspsalt
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupcoconut milk Curried Chicken:
- 1 tbsp 1tbspcoriander seeds
- 2 tsp 2tspcumin seeds
- 3 tbsp 3tbspvegetable oil
- 2 tbsp 2tbspminced garlic
- 4 tsp 4tspchopped gingerroot
- 3/4 tsp 3/4tspsalt
- 3 cups 3cupspeeled cubed (1/2 inch/1 cm) sweet potatosweet potatoes
- 1 cup 1cupcoconut milk
- 1-1/2 lb 1-1/2lbboneless skinless chicken thighboneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes
- 1 cup 1cupfrozen peas, thawed
Coriander Paste: In food processor, pulse together coriander, mint, green onion, chili pepper and salt until smooth. Pulse in coconut milk; set aside. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate in airtight container for up to 2 days.)
Curried Chicken: In shallow Dutch oven, toast coriander and cumin seeds over
medium-low heat until aromatic, about 2 minutes.
Using mortar and pestle or spice grinder, grind toasted spices until fine.
In same pan, heat oil over medium heat. Stir in spice mix, garlic, ginger and salt, and cook while stirring, for 1 minute.
Stir in sweet potatoes; cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add coconut milk and chicken; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Stir in coriander paste; cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in peas. (Make-ahead: Let cool for 30 minutes; refrigerate in airtight container for up to 2 days.)
To serve, spoon into warm puff pastry shells.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: April 2009