Curried Mushroom Barley Lentil Soup
This recipe makes 20 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||2 g|
- Portion size: 20
You can make this robust soup as spicy as you like depending on the kind of curry paste you use -- mild, medium or hot.
- 1 tbsp 1tbspvegetable oil
- 2 2large oniononions, chopped
- 8 8cloves garlic, minced
- 12 cups 12cupssliced mushroommushrooms, (2 lb/1 kg)
- 2 tbsp 2tbspminced gingerroot
- 2 tbsp 2tbspcurry paste
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspsalt
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tsppepper
- 12 cups 12cupsvegetable stock or beef stock
- 1 cup 1cupgreen lentils
- 2/3 cup 2/3cuppot barley or pearl barley Garnish:
- 1 dollops 1dollopsYogurt, (per serving)
- 1 tbsp 1tbspfinely chopped green onion, (per serving)
In large pot, heat oil over medium heat; fry onions, garlic, mushrooms, ginger, curry paste, salt and pepper, stirring often, until liquid is evaporated, 10 minutes.
Add stock, 3 cups (750 mL) water, lentils and barley; bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until lentils and barley are tender, about 1 hour. Add water to make 20 cups (5 L), if necessary. (Make-ahead: Let cool for 30 minutes. Divide among five 4-cup/1 L airtight containers. Refrigerate, uncovered, until cold. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 2 weeks.) Reheat before serving.
Garnish: Top each bowl with yogurt and green onion.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: February 2004