Curried Wheat Berry Salad
- Portion size: 4 to 6
This recipe makes 6 servings
|Per each of 6 servings: about||-|
|total fat||15 g|
|sat. fat||3 g|
Flecked with bits of red pepper, pale cheese and green parsley, this salad is appealing and intriguing. Wheat berries are either soft or hard: soft take 15 minutes less than the hard to cook.
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupswheat berrywheat berries
- 1/4 cup 1/4cuppine nutpine nuts or slivered almonds
- 3 tbsp 3tbspvegetable oil
- 1 1oniononions, chopped
- 2 2cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp 1tbspmild curry paste
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspsalt
- 3 tbsp 3tbspwhite wine vinegar
- 1 1sweet red peppersweet red peppers, diced
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupcubed cumin Gouda cheese or mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp 2tbspchopped fresh parsley
In large saucepan of boiling salted water, cover and cook wheat berries until tender but firm to the bite, 45 to 60 minutes. Drain well. Transfer to large bowl.
Meanwhile, in large skillet, toast pine nuts over medium heat until golden, about 2 minutes. Transfer to small bowl; set aside.
In same skillet, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil over medium heat; fry onion and garlic for 2 minutes. Add curry paste and salt ; fry until onion is softened, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Add remaining oil and vinegar. Add to wheat berries; toss to coat. Let cool. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.)
Add pine nuts, red pepper, cheese and parsley; toss to combine.
Additional information :
Curried Barley Salad: Replace wheat berries with barley; cook until tender, about 40 minutes.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: March 2005