Deluxe French Toast with Orange Butter and Fresh Fruit Medley
This recipe makes 4 servings
- Portion size: 4
Here's a snazzy version of French toast, using egg bread, or challah, that's easy enough for children to make themselves. You can make the orange butter the day before and, if you like, fry breakfast sausages or bacon seperately to serve along with the French toast.
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupunsalted butter
- 1 tsp 1tspfinely grated orange rind
- 1 tbsp 1tbsporange juice Fresh Fruit Medley:
- 12 12large strawberrystrawberries
- 1 1kiwifruit
- 1/2 1/2cantaloupecantaloupes
- 1 1orangeoranges French Toast:
- 4 4eggeggs
- 1/3 cup 1/3cuplight cream
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupmaple syrup
- 2 tbsp 2tbsporange juice
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspvanilla
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspfreshly grated nutmeg
- 1 pinch 1pinchcinnamon
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupbutter, (approx)
- 8 8slices egg bread or homemade style bread, each about 3/4 inch thick
- 2 tbsp 2tbspicing sugar
- Mint sprigMint sprigs, optional
- Mandarin orange sections, optional
- Maple syrup, optional
Orange Butter: Using fork, mash butter until softened and fluffy; mix in orange rind and juice. Cover and chill.
Fresh Fruit Medley: Hull strawberries. Peel kiwifruit. Seed cantaloupe and cut away rind. Cut kiwi and cantaloupe into 1/4-inch (5 mm) slices. Thinly slice and seed orange. Store fruit separately in refrigerator while preparing toast.
French Toast: In large bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, 1/4 cup (50 mL) maple syrup, orange juice, vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon; set aside.
In large skillet over medium heat, melt 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the butter. Dip 1 slice of bread at a time into egg mixture, press down and let soak for 10 seconds; turn and press again for 10 seconds. Lift out, letting excess egg mixture drip back into bowl. Fry soaked bread, in batches, for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown, adding more butter to skillet as needed. Transfer toast to baking sheet and keep warm in 150°F (70°C) oven while frying remaining bread.
Place 2 slices of toast on each plate; garnish with assortment of fruit. Dust with icing sugar and top with dollop of Orange Butter. Garnish with mint sprig and orange sections and drizzle with maple syrup (if using).