Devilled Giant Spider Eggs
- Preparation time: 10 minutes Stand: 10 minutes
- Total time : 10 minutes Chill: 1 hour
- Portion size: 24 pieces
This recipe makes 24 piece servings
|per piece: about||-|
|total fat||4 g|
|sat. fat||1 g|
*Cracking the shells then submerging them in dye gives the eggs a cool spiderweb pattern.
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspblack paste food colouring
- 12 12Eggs
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupfinely diced celery
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupfinely diced sweet gherkin picklesweet gherkin pickles
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupmayonnaise, (approx)
- 2 tbsp 2tbspchopped green onion, (green part only)
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspchipotle chili powder, (or chili powder)
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspsalt
In saucepan, whisk food colouring with 6 cups (1.5 L) water. Add eggs; bring to boil. Remove from heat; cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
Using slotted spoon, transfer eggs, 1 at a time, to paper towel. Using handle of wooden spoon, tap each egg gently in several places to crack shell without completely splitting. Transfer eggs to large bowl; cover with cooking water. Refrigerate until cool, about 1 hour.
Peel eggs and halve lengthwise. Arrange whites on platter; transfer yolks to bowl.
Add celery, pickles, mayonnaise, onion, chipotle powder and salt to yolks; mash to combine, adding more mayonnaise if desired. Spoon or pipe into egg whites.