This recipe makes 6 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||10 g|
|sat. fat||2 g|
- Portion size: 6
Here, chicken is smothered in an intense tomato sauce enlivened with piquant sun-dried tomatoes. Not covering the pan while cooking allows the sauce to reduce and thicken. Serve with pasta or potatoes — or, even better, potato gnocchi.
- 2 tbsp 2tbspextra-virgin olive oil
- 3 lb 3lbchicken pieces, skinned
- 1 1oniononions, chopped
- 2 2cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp 2tspdried oregano
- 1 tsp 1tspfennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tsphot pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupdry red wine or chicken stock
- 1 can (28 oz/796 ml) 1can (28 oz/796 ml)diced tomatotomatoes
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupsliced & drained oil packed sun dried tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspeach salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupminced fresh parsley
In large nonstick skillet, heat half of the oil over medium-high heat; brown chicken, about 10 minutes. Transfer to plate; pour off fat in pan.
Add remaining oil to pan; reduce heat to medium. Add onion, garlic, oregano, fennel seeds and hot pepper flakes; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
Add wine, diced and sun-dried tomatoes, salt and pepper; boil for 5 minutes. Return chicken to pan; cook, basting chicken often, until juices run clear when chicken is pierced, 20 to 25 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: November 2003