Easy Homemade Pasta and Vegetable Soup
This recipe makes 10 servings
|Per 1 cup (250 mL): about||-|
|total fat||2 g|
- Portion size: 8 to 10
"I don't like sandwiches because they get stuck in my retainer and are hard to eat," says nine-year-old Tyler Grainger, who brings a vacuum flask filled with hot soup or pasta every day. Round out lunch with fruit and milk.
- 1 tbsp 1tbspvegetable oil
- 3 stalks 3stalkscelery, finely chopped
- 3 3carrotcarrots, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspsalt
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tsppepper
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) 1can (28 oz/796 mL)diced tomatoes
- 3 cups 3cupsbeef stock
- 1/3 cup 1/3cuptomato paste
- 1 tbsp 1tbsppacked brown sugar
- 3/4 cup 3/4cupsmall pasta
In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook celery, carrots, salt and pepper, stirring occasionally, until carrots are softened, about 5 minutes.
Add tomatoes, beef stock, 1 cup (250 mL) water, tomato paste and sugar; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
Add pasta; simmer until pasta is tender but firm, about 8 minutes. (Make-ahead: Let cool for 30 minutes; refrigerate until cold. Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.)