Eggplant Tomato Towers with Balsamic Vinaigrette
This recipe makes 8 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||25 g|
|sat. fat||8 g|
- Portion size: 8
The sophisticated presentation of this salad leads people to believe that it's difficult to make. In fact, it's simple - and make-ahead, too. Stack it together just before serving.
- 1 (1/2 lb/750 g) 1(1/2 lb/750 g)eggplant
- 5 5large ripe tomatoes
- 2 2zucchinizucchinis, (12 oz/375 g total)
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupextra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp 1tspeach of salt and pepper
- 12 oz 12ozgoat cheese, softened
- 2 tbsp 2tbspminced fresh chivefresh chives or green onions Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupextra virgin olive oil
- 4 tsp 4tspbalsamic vinegar
- 1 pinch 1pincheach of salt and pepper
- 4 cups 4cupstorn mixed salad greens
Cut eggplant and tomatoes into 1/2-inch thick (1 cm) rounds. Cut zucchini on the diagonal into 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick slices.
Arrange eggplant, tomato and zucchini slices in single layer on 2 large greased or parchment paper-lined rimmed baking sheets. Brush both sides with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Roast in 425°F (220°C) oven for 5 minutes. Transfer tomatoes to large plate. Roast remaining vegetables, turning halfway through, until softened, about 20 minutes. (Make-ahead: Let cool. Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day; reheat in 400°F/200°C oven for 5 minutes.)
Meanwhile, in small bowl, combine goat cheese with chives; set aside.
Balsamic Vinaigrette: In large bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, salt and pepper; remove 2 tbsp (25 mL) and set aside. Add greens to bowl; toss to coat.
To assemble, place 1 large eggplant round on plate; top with zucchini slice. Top with generous 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the goat cheese mixture, then 1 tomato round. Press down gently. Top tomato with about 1/4 cup (50 mL) of the salad greens. Repeat layers once. Top tower with generous 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the goat cheese mixture. Repeat to make 8 towers. Drizzle reserved vinaigrette over towers.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: October 2003