Endive and Apple Salad with Fried Camembert
This recipe makes 6 servings
|Per each of 6 servings: about||-|
|total fat||29 g|
|sat. fat||11 g|
- Portion size: 4 to 6
To make an elegant first course for six or a main course for four, accompany this salad with a crisp baguette or a crusty country boule (or ball) and a dry white wine, such as herbaceous Sauvignon Blanc, crisp unoaked Canadian Chardonnay or a French Chablis.
- 4 cups 4cupschopped belgian endive
- 4 cups 4cupsmâche or watercress
- 1 1red-skinned appleapples, quartered, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupthinly sliced sweet onion
- 1 wheel 1wheelCamembert cheese, (about 370 g)
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupall-purpose flour
- 1 1eggeggs, beaten
- 1-1/4 cups 1-1/4cupsfine fresh bread crumbs
- 2 cups 2cupsvegetable oil, for deep frying, enough for 1/2 inch deep skillet Vinaigrette:
- 2 tbsp 2tbspcider vinegar
- 2 tsp 2tspDijon mustard
- 1 pinch 1pinchsalt
- 1 pinch 1pinchpepper
- 2 tbsp 2tbspvegetable oil
- 2 tbsp 2tbspextra-virgin olive oil
Vinaigrette: In small bowl, whisk together vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper; whisk in vegetable and olive oils. In large bowl, combine endive, mâche, apple and onion. Set bowls aside.
Cut cheese into 4 to 6 wedges. Place flour, egg and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Coat each wedge with flour; dip in egg, letting excess drip off. Dip again in flour, then egg. Coat with bread crumbs, pressing to cover completely.
In skillet, heat 1/2 inch (1 cm) deep vegetable oil over medium-high heat; fry cheese, turning once, until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.
Toss salad with vinaigrette; divide among plates. Top each with cheese wedge.
More endive recipes:
- Stuffed Endive Spears
- Endive Salad with Radishes
- Boston and Endive Lettuce with Sherry Vinaigrette
- Endive Spears with Grapes, Gorgonzola and Hazelnuts
- Belgian Endive Spears with Curried Chicken Salad
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: January 2010