Family-friendly breakfasts for four
By Recipes by Adell Shneer and The Canadian Living Test Kitchen
Introduce kids to cooking with these fresh recipes for granola, spiced oatmeal, pancakes, baked tomatoes and more. The whole family will love a teamwork breakfast feast.
- Marvellous Mac 'N Cheese
- Lentil Soup
- Beans, Beans, The Musical Fruit Wraps
- Breakfast in a Cookie
- Big Batch Buttermilk Pancakes
- Cheese Biscuits
- Macaroni Dish
- Granola Bars
- Apricot Honey Oatmeal
- Cinnamon Munchie Mix
- Blue Cheese and Walnut Mushrooms
- Berry Charlotte
- Gluten-Free Sandwich Bread
- Gluten-Free Cherry Almond Muffins
- Gluten-Free Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Warm Gluten-Free Biscuits
- Gluten-Free Chocolate PBandJ Cupcakes
- Mini Smoked Salmon Dill Quiches
- Mustard-Spiced Nuts
- Pork Tacos With Red Cabbage Slaw and Guacamole
Getting kids into the kitchen to prepare a weekend breakfast is perfect for sharing quality time. (For teens, breakfast may mean brunch, or even lunch, but you can still encourage them to join in!) The family-friendly breakfast recipes listed below are easy, straightforward and include enough variations to appeal to the simplest and the most sophisticated of children's palates. Best of all, our step-by-step breakfast recipes are designed to make together as a family. So instead of settling for toast and cereal, make family breakfast a new tradition.
Age-appropriate tasks not only help divide the workload but also give kids a chance to take pride in their accomplishments. Working side by side lets adults keep a watchful eye without hovering.
• Setting the table
• Flaking fish for Smoked Fish Hash
• Tossing together Fruit-and-Nut Granola
• Pressing blender buttons for Dutch Baby
• Whisking eggs for scrambled eggs
• Measuing ingredients
• Cracking eggs into small bowl before adding in case some shells slip in
• Whisking, stirring, mixing, folding
• Mashing butter for Baked Tomatoes and stuffing them
• Cooking all these recipes (prehaps with minor assistance)
• A nearby adult at hand for support and to answer any questions
This simple oven pancake will delight kids as it puffs up. Little ones can share a pancake, while teens will probably want one all to themselves. This...
This recipe from my sister Rochelle is now part of our breakfast repertoire. Enjoy it with milk or sprinkled over yogurt.
Smoked Fish Hash
Kids love the smoky flavour of this simple and straightforward diner classic. Top with Easy Eggs and serve with Baked Tomatoes for a hearty breakfast.
Chai-Spiced Baked Oatmeal with Almonds and Blueberries
Serve the almonds and blueberries in bowls so that everyone can personalize his or her own dish.
Multigrain Apple Cinnamon Buttermilk Pancakes
Kids love pancakes, and multigrain flour and apple add a healthy twist.
This easy side dish makes a nice addition to many breakfasts, such as scrambled eggs and Smoked Fish Hash. If you like, use small tomatoes cut in half...