Fire and Ice Zucchini Soup with Grilled Corn Salsa
This recipe makes 10 servings
|Per each of 10 servings: about||-|
|total fat||4 g|
|sat. fat||1 g|
- Portion size: 8 to 10
Refreshing for hot summer nights, this smooth sipper showcases seasonal local vegetables. Fragrant with curry and ginger, it's swirled with yogurt and chilled until deliciously cold. To create this soup, as well as our zesty, colourful salsa topping, follow our simple steps.
- 1 tbsp 1tbspvegetable oil
- 1 1oniononions, chopped
- 1 tbsp 1tbspgrated ginger
- 1 tbsp 1tbspchopped fresh thyme, (or 1 tsp/5 mL dried)
- 2 tsp 2tspmild curry paste
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspsalt
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tsppepper
- 8 cups 8cupssliced zucchinizucchinis, about 6 small)
- 3-1/2 cups 3-1/2cupsvegetable stock
- 1 cup 1cupplain yogurt Grilled Corn Salsa:
- 2 cobs 2cobscorn, husked
- 2 tsp 2tspvegetable oil
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupfinely diced red onionred onions
- 2 tbsp 2tbsplime juice or lemon juice
- 2 tsp 2tspfinely chopped hot pepper
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspground cumin
- 1/8 tsp 1/8tspeach salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupchiopped fresh coriander or basil
1- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; fry onion, ginger, thyme, curry paste, salt and pepper until softened, about 3 minutes. Add zucchini; fry, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add stock; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until vegetables are very soft, about 15 minutes. Let cool.
2- In blender or food processor, pur?soup, in batched, until silky smooth; transfer to bowl. Whisk in yogurt; cover and refrigerate until cold, about 4 hours. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate for up to 2 days.)
3- Grilled Corn Salsa: Brush corn with oil. Place on greased grill over medium-high heat; close lid and grill turning occasionally, until lightly charred and tender, about 10 minutes. Let cool.
4- Cut kernels off cob. In bowl, toss corn with onion, lime juice, hot pepper, cumin, salt and pepper. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.) Add coriander.
5- Holding ladle over plate to catch drips, ladle soup into chilled bowls; top with spoonful of salsa.
Additional information : Tip: If made ahead, this soup thickens slightly. Thin as desired with chilled stock or ice water.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: July 2005