Gluten-Free Pad Thai
- Portion size: 6 to 8
This recipe makes 8 servings
|Per each of 8 servings: about||-|
|total fat||13 g|
|sat. fat||2 g|
Always check packaged food labels for gluten, including ketchup (Heinz is gluten-free), sriracha, fish sauce and broth (homemade stock is best – and safest). It's best to steer clear of dry-roasted peanuts for the same reason. To toast nuts, toast in dry skillet over medium heat, shaking pan often, until fragrant and golden, about 4 minutes.
- 1/2 pkg (454 g pkg) 1/2pkg (454 g pkg)wide rice stick noodles
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupketchup
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupsodium-reduced chicken broth
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupfish sauce
- 3 tbsp 3tbsplime juice
- 2 tsp 2tspgranulated sugar
- 1 tsp 1tspAsian chili sauce or hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupvegetabIe oil or peanut oil
- 2 2eggeggs, lightly beaten
- 8 oz 8ozfrozen large shrimp, thawed, peeled and deveined
- 10 oz 10ozboneless skinless chicken breastboneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 4 4shallotshallots, thinly sliced
- 4 4cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1sweet red peppersweet red peppers, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp 2tspminced fresh ginger
- 6 oz 6ozmedium-firm tofu, cubed
- 3 cups 3cupsbean sprouts
- 3 3green oniongreen onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupchopped unsalted peanutunsalted peanuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupfresh cilantro leaves
- Lime wedges
In large bowl, soak noodles in warm water for 15 minutes; drain and set aside.
Meanwhile, in small bowl, whisk together ketchup, chicken broth, fish sauce, lime juice, sugar and chili sauce; set aside.
In wok or large skillet, heat 1 tbsp of the oil over medium-high heat; cook eggs, stirring occasionally, until scrambled and set, about 30 seconds. Transfer to separate bowl.
Wipe out wok. Add 1 tbsp of the remaining oil and heat over high heat; stir-fry shrimp until pink, about 1 minute. Transfer to plate.
Heat 1 tbsp of the remaining oil in wok over high heat; stir-fry chicken until browned and no longer pink inside, about 1 minute. Add to shrimp.
Heat remaining oil in wok over high heat; cook shallots, garlic, red pepper and ginger until softened, about 2 minutes.
Stir in ketchup mixture and noodles. Return shrimp mixture to pan; cook, stirring to coat, until noodles are tender, about 3 minutes.
Return scrambled eggs to pan along with tofu, bean sprouts and green onions; heat through just until sprouts begin to wilt, about 1 minute. Serve garnished with peanuts, cilantro and lime wedges.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: May 2011