Golden Brandy Nut-Free Fruitcake
This recipe makes 30 slices servings
|Per slice: about||-|
|total fat||7 g|
|sat. fat||4 g|
- Portion size: 30 slices
A look through past recipes revealed that we have never developed a nut-free fruitcake – so here it is. A jewel-like topping and variety of fruits ensures that no one will even notice that the nuts are missing.
- 1 cup 1cupgolden raisingolden raisins
- 1 cup 1cupdried figdried figs, trimmed and chopped
- 1 cup 1cupcoarsely chopped candied pineapple
- 2/3 cup 2/3cupcoarsely chopped dried peardried pears
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupcoarsely chopped dried apricotdried apricots
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupcandied citrus peel
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupdried currants
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupcandied cherrycandied cherries, halved
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupbrandy, (approx)
- 2 cups 2cupsall-purpose flour
- 1 tsp 1tspbaking powder
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspcinnamon
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspground ginger
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspsalt
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspground nutmeg
- 1 cup 1cupbutter, softened
- 1 cup 1cuppacked brown sugar
- 3 3eggeggs
- 1 tsp 1tspvanilla
- 1 tsp 1tspgrated orange rind Topping:
- 10 10dried apricotdried apricots, halved
- 8 8dried figdried figs, trimmed and quartered
- 8 8candied cherrycandied cherries, halved
- 6 6dried peardried pears, halved
- 6 6candied Pineapple rings, halved
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupapricot jam
- 1 tbsp 1tbspbrandy or water
In large bowl, combine raisins, figs, pineapple, pears, apricots, citrus peel, currants, cherries and brandy; toss well. Cover and let stand for 24 hours, stirring occasionally.
Line 9-inch (2.5 L) springform pan with parchment paper. Wrap outside of pan with triple-thickness newspaper; tie with string. Set aside.
In bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, salt and nutmeg; remove 1 cup (250 mL) and toss with fruit mixture.
In another large bowl, beat butter with brown sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time. Beat in vanilla and orange rind. Stir in flour mixture just until incorporated. Stir in fruit mixture until combined. Scrape into prepared pan, smoothing top.
Set shallow pan on bottom rack of 250°F (120°C) oven; pour in enough water to come halfway up side. Bake cake on centre rack for 4 to 4-1/2 hours or until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Let cool in pan on rack for 15 minutes. Remove from pan; peel off paper. Let cool on rack.
Cut double-thickness square of cheesecloth large enough to wrap cake; soak cheesecloth in brandy. Wrap around cake; wrap in plastic wrap then foil. Refrigerate for 1 month. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate for up to 3 months.)
Topping: In bowl, toss together dried apricots, figs and candied cherries. Arrange pears and pineapple alternately around outside edge of cake; heap fig mixture in centre.
In small saucepan, heat apricot jam with brandy over low heat until melted; brush over fruit. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate in airtight container for up to 1 week.)
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: December 2007