Greek-Style Macaroni and Cheese
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Total time : 46 minutes
- Portion size: 6 to 8
This recipe makes 8 servings
|Per each of 8 servings: about||-|
|total fat||28 g|
|sat. fat||17 g|
- 2 bags (8 oz/250 g each) 2bags (8 oz/250 g each)fresh spinach
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupbutter, melted
- 1 1oniononions, finely chopped
- 2 2cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp 2tbspchopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupall-purpose flour
- 4 tsp 4tspDijon mustard
- 4 cups 4cupsmilk
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspsalt
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tsppepper
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspnutmeg
- 2 cups 2cupsshredded provolone cheese
- 1-1/4 cups 1-1/4cupscrumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup 1cupgrated Romano cheeseRomano cheese
- 4 cups 4cupsScoobi-Do pasta
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupsfresh bread crumbs
In large pot, cook spinach with 2 tbsp (30 mL) water over medium-high heat, stirring once, until wilted, about 3 minutes. Transfer to sieve; press out moisture. Chop and
In saucepan, melt 1/4 cup (60 mL) of the butter over medium heat; cook onion, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and oregano; cook for 1 minute. Sprinkle with flour; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in mustard.
Whisk in milk until smooth; bring to simmer and cook, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 6 minutes. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir in provolone, 1/3 cup (75 mL) of the feta and the Romano cheese until smooth.
Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until still slightly firm in centre, 6 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the cooking liquid. Return pasta to pot. Stir in milk mixture, liquid and reserved spinach. Transfer to greased 13- x 9-inch (3 L) glass baking dish.
Combine bread crumbs with remaining butter; sprinkle over pasta. Top with remaining feta cheese. Bake on baking sheet in 375°F (190°C) oven until bubbly and golden, 30 to 35 minutes.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: January 2011