Grilled Chicken and Melon Salad
This recipe makes 4 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||26 g|
|sat. fat||3 g|
- Portion size: 4
This lunch or light supper salad is a cornucopia of sweet melon, mellow avocado, savoury grilled chicken and bright citrus flavourings. You can prepare the dressing, grill the chicken and scoop out the melons earlier in the day for last-minute assembly.
- 1 tsp 1tspgrated orange rind
- 1 tsp 1tspgrated lime rind
- 1/4 cup 1/4cuporange juice
- 1/4 cup 1/4cuplime juice
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupvegetable oil
- 2 tsp 2tspgrated gingerroot
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tsphot pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspsalt
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tsppepper
- 2 2boneless skinless chicken breastboneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1sweet red peppersweet red peppers, cored, seeded and quartered
- 2 2clove garliccloves of garlic, minced
- 2 2large cantaloupecantaloupes
- 1 stalk 1stalklemongrass, optional
- 2 2avocadoavocados
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupchopped fresh basil or coriander
- 2 tbsp 2tbspfinely chopped red onion
- 4 4lime wedges, (optional)
In liquid measure, whisk together lime and orange rinds and juices, oil, ginger, hot pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Reserving half for salad, pour remaining dressing into bowl; add chicken, red pepper and garlic, turning to coat. Cover and marinate in refrigerator for 20 minutes. (Make-ahead: Marinate for up to 2 hours.)
Discarding marinade, place chicken and red pepper, skin side down, on greased grill over medium-high heat; close lid and grill until red pepper is lightly charred, about 6 minutes. Remove red pepper and let cool. Turn chicken; grill until no longer pink inside, about 4 minutes longer. Let cool. Cut chicken and red pepper into bite-size chunks.
Meanwhile, halve cantaloupes on slight angle; remove seeds. With melon baller, neatly scoop out flesh into large bowl; set aside. With edge of spoon, smooth insides of melon shells; place, cut side down, on rack to drain.
Cut 3-inch (8 cm) piece from bottom white part of lemongrass (if using), removing tough outer layer; cut into paper-thin slices. Halve, pit and peel avocados; cut into 3/4-inch (2 cm) cubes.
Add lemongrass (if using), avocados, chicken, red pepper, basil and onion to cantaloupe balls; pour reserved dressing over top and mix gently. Spoon into melon shells; garnish with lime wedges (if using).
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: August 2003