Grilled Corn and Black Bean Salad
This recipe makes 8 servings
|Per each of 8 servings: about||-|
|total fat||11 g|
|sat. fat||2 g|
- Portion size: 6 to 8
Grilling the corn gives a nice smoky flavour and a Southwestern touch to this salad. If you are short of time, substitute 2 cups (500 mL) cooked fresh or frozen corn kernels.
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspsalt
- 1/2 cup 1/2cuppot barley or pearl barley
- 4 cobs 4cobscorn
- 1 can 1canblack beanblack beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 ribs 2ribscelery, diced
- 1 1sweet red peppersweet red peppers, diced;
- 2 2green oniongreen onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupcrumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupchopped fresh parsley Dressing:
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupextra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp 3tbspred wine vinegar
- 1 1clove garliccloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspDijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspsmoked paprika
- Pinch Pincheach salt and pepper
Dressing: In large bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, garlic, mustard, paprika, salt and pepper. Set aside.
In saucepan, bring 2 cups (500 mL) water and salt to boil. Stir in barley; cover and simmer over low heat until tender and no liquid remains, about 40 minutes. Add to dressing; let cool.
Meanwhile, husk and remove silk from corn. Place on greased grill over medium-high heat; close lid and grill until tender and lightly charred, 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool.
Cut kernels off cobs; add to barley mixture. Add beans, celery, red pepper and onions; toss. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.) Sprinkle with cheese and parsley.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: September 2008