- Portion size: 8
This recipe makes 8 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||19 g|
|sat. fat||5 g|
At a glance, this may look like an everything-but-the-kitchen-sink salad, but its seasonal ingredients meld beautifully. Soaking the shallots in vinegar pickles them slightly.
- 3 cups 3cupscubed pumpernickel bread or rye bread
- 1 pkg (4 oz/115 g) 1pkg (4 oz/115 g)mâche or mixed baby greens
- 3 heads 3headsbelgian endive, separated in leaves
- 4 oz 4ozblue cheese, crumbled
- 2 2hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- 1 1appleapples, cut in chunks
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupwalnut halfwalnut halves Dressing:
- 2 tsp 2tspcaraway seeds
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupfinely chopped shallotshallots or onions
- 3 tbsp 3tbspwhite wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspsalt
- 1 tbsp 1tbspDijon mustard
- 1 1clove garliccloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspwhite pepper
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupextra-virgin olive oil
On baking sheet, bake bread cubes in 350°F (180°C) oven until crisp, about 10 minutes. Transfer to large bowl.
Dressing: Meanwhile, in small skillet, toast caraway seeds over medium-low heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes; let cool slightly. With mortar and pestle or bottom of heavy pot, crush seeds.
In small bowl, combine shallots, vinegar and salt; let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in mustard, garlic, pepper and caraway seeds; whisk in oil.
Add mâche, Belgian endive, blue cheese, eggs, apple and walnuts to croutons. Pour dressing over top; toss to coat.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: November 2011