Photo: Hearty Minestrone
Photography by Hasnain Dattu
This recipe makes 8 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||18 g|
|sat. fat||4 g|
- Portion size: 8
This meal-in-a-bowl from our November 2005 "Loaf & Ladle" story will disappear quickly, but if you do have leftovers, adjust consistency with a little liquid.
- Pesto Recipe
- Parmesan Crisps Recipe Minestrone:
- 1 tbsp 1tbspextra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1large oniononions, chopped
- 3 3celery stalkcelery stalks, sliced
- 3 3carrotcarrots, sliced
- 3 3cloves garlic, minced
- 2 2bay leafbay leaves
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspeach salt and pepper
- 1 1can (5.5 oz/56 mL) tomato paste
- 1 1smoked ham hocksmoked ham hocks, (about 1lb/500 g)
- 1 1large potatopotatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 1sweet red peppersweet red peppers, diced
- 1 1small zucchinizucchinis
- 1 cup 1cupsmall pasta, (such as garganelli, radiatori or macaroni)
- 1 cup 1cuprinsed drained canned red kidney beanred kidney beans
- 1 cup 1cuprinsed drained canned white kidney beanwhite kidney beans Crostini:
- 2-1/2 cups 2-1/2cupscubed trimmed Italian bread
- 3 tbsp 3tbspextra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspcoarsely cracked pepper
Minestrone: In Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat; fry onion, celery, carrots, garlic, bay leaves, salt and pepper until softened, about 4 minutes.
Add tomato paste; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add ham hock and 8 cups (2 L) water; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Skim off foam. Add potato and red pepper; simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
Remove ham hock and let cool enough to handle. Discard skin, fat and bone. Using fork or fingers, shred ham and return to soup. Discard bay leaves. (Make-ahead: Let cool for 30 minutes; refrigerate, uncovered, until cold. Refrigerate in airtight container for up to 2 days.)
Cut zucchini in half lengthwise; slice crosswise. Add pasta, red and white kidney beans and zucchini to soup; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until pasta is tender but firm, about 12 minutes.
Ladle soup into bowls; garnish with pesto and crostini. Serve with Parmesan Crisps.
Crostini: In bowl, toss together bread, oil and pepper; spread on rimmed baking sheet. Bake in 400°F (200°C) oven, tossing once, until golden and crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. (Make-ahead: Let cool; store in airtight container for up to 24 hours.)
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: November 2005