Herbed Crab Dip
Herbed Crab Dip
Photography by Matthew Kimura
This recipe makes 2 cups servings
|Per 1 tbsp (15 mL): about||-|
|total fat||2 g|
|sat. fat||1 g|
- Portion size: 2 cups (500 mL)
Serve this stylish make-ahead dip with cracker bread, Belgium endive leaves, radishes and blanched cauliflower and broccoli florets. To blanch, immerse the vegetables in boiling salted water for 30 seconds; drain and chill in cold water. Immediately drain well.
- 1 pkg 1pkg(7 oz/200 g) frozen crabmeat, thawed
- 2 tbsp 2tbspextra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupminced shallotshallots or onions
- 4 4cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspsalt
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tsppepper
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspmace or nutmeg
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupdry white wine or dry white vermouth
- 1 tbsp 1tbsplemon juice
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspcrumbled dried tarragon
- 3/4 cup 3/4cuplight cream cheese, cubed and softened
- 1/4 cup 1/4cuplight sour cream
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupminced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupminced fresh chives
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupdiced fresh sweet red peppersweet red peppers or roasted red peppers
Place crab in sieve; pick through and remove any cartilage. Gently squeeze out excess moisture; set aside.
In saucepan, heat oil over medium-low heat; fry shallots, garlic, salt, pepper and mace, without browning, until softened and fragrant, about 4 minutes.
Add wine, lemon juice and tarragon; boil over medium heat until reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Let cool.
In bowl and using fork, blend cream cheese with sour cream; add shallot mixture, crabmeat, parsley, chives and red pepper, mixing well. Scrape into serving dish. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.)
Additional information :
Herbed Smoked Salmon Dip: Omit salt. Use 8 oz (250 g) smoked salmon, finely chopped, instead of crabmeat.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: January 2004