Home-Style Chicken with Corn Sauce
This recipe makes 4 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||18 g|
|sat. fat||3 g|
- Portion size: 4
Creamy and satisfying with very little fat, this is a popular dish with children as well as adults. Prosciutto (Italian dry-cured ham) is very close in flavour to Chinese cured hams. If it is available at your grocer's, have it cut thicker to dice rather than buying it in paper-thin slices.
- 1 lb 1lbboneless skinless chicken breastboneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 tsp 4tspcornstarch
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspsalt
- 1 tsp 1tspminced gingerroot
- 3 3green oniongreen onions
- 3 tbsp 3tbspvegetable oil
- 2 cups 2cupsfrozen corn or canned corn kernels
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupschicken stock
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupdiced prosciutto, or other ham (1 oz/30g)
- 3 3eggeggs
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspwhite pepper or black pepper
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspsesame oil
- 1/3 cup 1/3cuploosely packed whole fresh coriander leaffresh coriander leaves
Cut chicken into 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes; place in bowl. Add half each of the cornstarch and salt ; stir in ginger and toss to combine. Keeping white and green parts separate, thinly slice onions.
In wok or large skillet, heat oil over high heat. Add white part of onions; stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add chicken; stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add corn, stock, prosciutto and remaining salt ; bring to boil. Cook for about 3 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink inside.
Mix remaining cornstarch with 1 tbsp (15 mL) water; stir into pan.
In bowl, lightly beat eggs; stir in 1/2 cup (125 mL) hot sauce from pan. Slowly stir back into pan; reduce heat to low. Add pepper and green part of onions; cook, stirring gently and without boiling, for 1 minute or until thickened.
Pour into serving bowl. Drizzle with sesame oil; sprinkle with coriander.