This recipe makes 32 large cookies servings
|Per cookie: about||-|
|total fat||4 g|
- Preparation time: 15 minutes Stand: 10 minutes
- Total time : 27 minutes Chill: 4 hours
- Portion size: 32 large cookies
These German honey gingerbread cookies are like Christmas cake: They need time to develop flavour. Store in a cookie tin or wrapped in foil in a cool place for at least 3 weeks or for up to 3 months.
- 3/4 cup 3/4cuptoasted hazelnuthazelnuts
- 3/4 cup 3/4cuptoasted almondalmonds
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupcurrantcurrants
- 3 tbsp 3tbspcandied orange peel
- 3 tbsp 3tbspcandied lemon peel
- 1 cup 1cupliquid honey
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupgranulated sugar
- 1 tsp 1tspfinely grated lemon rind
- 2 2eggeggs
- 2 cups 2cupsall-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 tsp 2-1/2tspbaking powder
- 2-1/2 tsp 2-1/2tspcinnamon
- 3/4 tsp 3/4tspground ginger
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspground cloves
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspnutmeg
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspsalt
- 1 pinch 1pinchground allspice Glaze:
- 1 cup 1cupicing sugar
- 2 tbsp 2tbsplemon juice
In food processor, pulse together hazelnuts, almonds, currants, candied orange peel and candied lemon peel until finely ground, about 30 seconds. Set aside.
In small saucepan, bring honey and sugar to boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat and simmer until slightly darkened, about 2 minutes. Transfer to large bowl; let cool for 10 minutes. Whisk in lemon rind and eggs. Stir in nut mixture.
In separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, cardamom, nutmeg, salt and allspice; stir into nut mixture in 2 additions to make sticky dough. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours.
On lightly floured parchment paper, roll out dough to fit 17- x 12-inch (43 x 30 cm) baking sheet, patching and stretching if necessary. Transfer to baking sheet. Bake in 300°F (150°C) oven until browned yet soft in centre, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool slightly on pan on rack.
Glaze: Whisk sugar with lemon juice, adding up to 1 tsp (5 mL) water to make spreadable if desired. Spread over warm dough. Cut into 32 pieces. Let stand at room temperature, uncovered, for 24 hours.
Source : Canadian Living Holiday Cookbook: Fall 2010