Iced Lettuce and Pea Soup
This recipe makes 8 servings
|Per each of 8 servings: about||-|
|total fat||6 g|
|sat. fat||2 g|
- Portion size: 6 to 8
Though freshly shelled peas are optimal, thawed frozen peas are also fine.
- 2 tbsp 2tbspextra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch 1bunchgreen oniongreen onions, coarsely chopped (about 6)
- 10 cups 10cupschopped romaine lettuce, (about 2 heads)
- 3 cups 3cupssodium-reduced chicken stock
- 2 cups 2cupsfresh peafresh peas or frozen peas, thawed
- 1 tsp 1tspgranulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspsalt
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tsppepper
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupbuttermilk or sour cream
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupcrumbled goat cheese
- 2 tbsp 2tbspchopped fresh dill or chives or green onions
In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook onions until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in lettuce; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted, about 5 minutes.
Stir in broth, 1/2 cup (125 mL) water, peas, sugar, salt and pepper; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
In blender, puree soup, in batches, until smooth. Strain into large bowl, pressing on solids. Whisk in buttermilk; transfer to airtight container and refrigerate until cold, about 4 hours. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate for up to 24 hours.)
Ladle into bowls. Garnish with goat cheese and dill.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: June 2009