We've added fresh ginger and soy sauce to these lean meatballs and simmered them in a spicy aromatic broth for a meal you'll definitely want to make again.
- Prep time 25 minutes
- Total time 30 minutes
- Portion size 4 servings
- 450 g lean ground chicken
- 1/3 cup panko or dried bread crumbs
- 2 green onions , minced
- 2 cloves garlic , finely grated or pressed
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 heads bok choy , quartered
- 2 carrots , thinly sliced
- 2 green onions , thinly sliced
- 2 slices (scant 1/4-inch thick) fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic , finely grated or pressed
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced red finger chili pepper
- 2 cups sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Meatballs: In bowl, combine chicken, bread crumbs, green onions, garlic, ginger and soy sauce. Firmly roll by 2 tbsp into balls; arrange on rimmed baking sheet. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook meatballs, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 4 minutes.
Broth: Meanwhile, in saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat; sauté bok choy, carrots and half of the green onions until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Add ginger, garlic and half of the chili pepper; sauté for 1 minute.
Stir in meatballs, broth and 1 cup water; bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook until instant-read thermometer inserted in several meatballs reads 165°F, about 5 minutes. Discard ginger. Stir in lime juice, soy sauce and salt.
Divide meatballs among serving bowls; top with broth mixture. Sprinkle with remaining chili pepper and green onions.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Fibre 2 g
- Sodium 695 mg
- Sugars 3 g
- Protein 23 g
- Calories 326
- Total fat 21 g
- Potassium 409 mg
- Cholesterol 87 mg
- Saturated fat 5 g
- Total carbohydrate 11 g
- Iron 17
- Folate 20
- Calcium 10
- Vitamin A 94
- Vitamin C 38