- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: May 2009
- 16 jumbo pasta shells (half 340 g pkg)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 sweet green pepper finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage casings removed
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cups bottled tomatoes strained
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pinch salt
- 3/4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
In large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until tender but firm, about 14 minutes. Drain.
Meanwhile, in skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion, green pepper and garlic until softened, about 6 minutes. Transfer to bowl; stir in sausage, egg and parsley. Place heaping 1 tbsp (15 mL) in each of the shells. Arrange in greased 8-inch (2 L) square glass baking dish.
In bowl, stir together tomatoes, oregano and salt ; spoon over stuffed shells. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses; cover and bake in 425°F (220°C) oven for 20 minutes.
Uncover and bake until cheese is golden and instant-read digital thermometer inserted into centre of shell registers 160°F (71°C), about 10 minutes.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 1306 mg
- Protein 31 g
- Calories 694.0
- Total fat 42 g
- Potassium 481 mg
- Cholesterol 131 mg
- Saturated fat 14 g
- Total carbohydrate 44 g
- Iron 42.0
- Folate 51.0
- Calcium 23.0
- Vitamin A 11.0
- Vitamin C 48.0