This salad is crunchy, chewy, sweet and savoury. Fresh corn kernels make all the difference in this hearty beef salad.
- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: August 2008
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 lb beef strip loin grilling steak , 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick
- 2 cups cooked barley (1/2 cup dry)
- 1 1/2 cup cooked corn kernels (about 5 cobs)
- 1 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/3 cup each chopped fresh coriander and red onion
- 3 tablespoons each extra-virgin olive oil and lime juice
- 3/4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups shredded red leaf lettuce
In small bowl, stir together oil, chili powder, salt, pepper and garlic; brush over steak and let stand for 15 minutes.
Place steak on greased grill over medium-high heat; close lid and grill, turning once, until medium-rare, about 8 minutes. Transfer to cutting board and tent with foil; let stand for 5 minutes before thinly slicing across the grain.
Salad: Meanwhile, in large bowl, combine barley, corn, tomatoes, coriander, onion, oil, lime juice, cumin and salt ; toss to combine.
Divide lettuce among plates; top with salad. Arrange steak over top.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 509 mg
- Protein 31 g
- Calories 505.0
- Total fat 24 g
- Cholesterol 56 mg
- Saturated fat 5 g
- Total carbohydrate 44 g
- Iron 34.0
- Folate 33.0
- Calcium 4.0
- Vitamin A 20.0
- Vitamin C 27.0