Watch how Canadian Living's Senior Food Specialist Alison Kent prepares this fragrant dish in our Test Kitchen video: Biryani-Inspired Vegetable Rice.
- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: October 2007
- 3/4 cups dried green lentils
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion , chopped
- 2 carrots , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 tablespoon mild, medium or Biryani curry paste
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 2 cups small cauliflower florets
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 1/4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup green peas
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds (optional)
In saucepan of boiling water, cook lentils for 10 minutes; drain and set aside.
Meanwhile, in Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat; sauté onion until deep golden, 6 minutes. Add carrots, garlic, curry paste, salt and pepper; sauté until fragrant, 3 minutes. Stir in cauliflower, rice, raisins and lentils to coat.
Add stock and bring to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer until rice and vegetables are tender, 20 minutes. Stir in peas and warm through, 4 minutes. Sprinkle with almonds (if using).
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 871 mg
- Protein 17 g
- Calories 476.0
- Total fat 10 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Saturated fat 1 g
- Total carbohydrate 82 g
- Iron 35.0
- Folate 111.0
- Calcium 7.0
- Vitamin A 106.0
- Vitamin C 48.0