The savoury flavour of black bean sauce with the freshness of asparagus makes this an all-in-one addictive treat.
- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: May 2008
- 6 green onions
- 1 lb asparagus trimmed
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons grated gingerroot
- 1 red bird's-eye chili (optional)
- 2 tablespoons black bean sauce
- 1/3 cup sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry (optional)
- 1 tablespoon sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 12 oz noodles cooked and rinsed
- 12 oz linguine cooked and rinsed
- 1/2 English cucumber cut into 2-inch sticks
MethodCut onions into white and green parts. Mince white parts. Cut 3 of the green parts into 2-inch (5 cm) lengths. Set aside.
In saucepan of boiling water, blanch asparagus until tender-crisp, 3 to 5 minutes; cut into 2-inch (5 cm) lengths. Place beef in colander; blanch in boiling water for 1 minute. Drain.
In wok or large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; stir-fry garlic, white parts of onions, ginger, chili (if using) and beef for 5 minutes or until fragrant and no liquid remains. Add black bean sauce; stir-fry for 1 minute.
Whisk broth, 1/2 cup (125 mL) water, sherry (if using), soy sauce, sugar and cornstarch; add to wok. Add asparagus and green parts of onions; cook, stirring, until thickened, glossy and asparagus is heated through. Toss with noodles. Garnish with cucumber.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 613 mg
- Protein 34 g
- Calories 786.0
- Total fat 39 g
- Cholesterol 155 mg
- Saturated fat 13 g
- Total carbohydrate 75 g
- Iron 34.0
- Folate 70.0
- Calcium 8.0
- Vitamin A 11.0
- Vitamin C 17.0