“This is my take on a wintertime favourite that's served in my childhood home,” says Food specialist Irene Fong. “My dad loves this braised beef with noodles, but it's just as good served over rice.” We've used brisket here because it's unbelievably tender when braised.
- Prep time 40 minutes
- Total time 3 hours & 45 minutes
- Portion size 8 servings
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon five-spice powder
- pinch salt
- 900 g boneless beef brisket pot roast cut in 1-inch (2.5 cm) chunks
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup Chinese rice wine
- 1 1/2 cup sodium-reduced beef broth
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick (3-1/2 inches/ 9 cm long)
- 340 g daikon radishes peeled and cut in 1-inch (2.5 cm) chunks (about 4-1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 4 green onions cut in 1-1/2-inch (4 cm) lengths
- 680 g fresh steamed chow mein noodles or fresh Chinese wheat noodles
MethodIn bowl, stir together half of the flour, the coriander, pepper, five-spice powder and salt; add beef and toss to coat.
In Dutch oven or large heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat; working in batches, cook brisket, stirring, until browned, about 5 minutes. Remove to plate. Add garlic and ginger to Dutch oven; sauté over medium-high heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in wine, scraping up browned bits. Add broth, sugar, star anise, cinnamon stick, beef mixture and 3/4 cup water; bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until beef is tender, about 2-1/2 hours.
Stir in daikon; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until tender, about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, whisk together oyster sauce, remaining flour and 1 tbsp water; stir into beef mixture. Cook, stirring, until sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in green onions; cook for 1 minute.
Meanwhile, in large saucepan of boiling water, cook noodles according to package instructions; drain. Serve topped with beef mixture.
Nutritional facts per serving: about
- Fibre 3 g
- Sodium 491 mg
- Sugars 3 g
- Protein 33 g
- Calories 652.0
- Total fat 27 g
- Potassium 480 mg
- Cholesterol 92 mg
- Saturated fat 9 g
- Total carbohydrate 70 g
- Iron 48.0
- Folate 10.0
- Calcium 5.0
- Vitamin A 1.0
- Vitamin C 12.0