- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: November 2004
- 1 large cauliflower (about 2-3/4 lb/1.375 kg)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion minced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups hot milk
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) old Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh or dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Cut cauliflower into bite-size florets. Place in steamer over boiling water; cover and steam until tender, about 10 minutes. Place cauliflower in 8-inch (2 L) square glass baking dish.
Meanwhile, in saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; fry onion until softened, about 5 minutes.
Stir in flour; cook, stirring, until light golden, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk; simmer, whisking, until thick enough to coat back of spoon, about 8 minutes.
Add Cheddar cheese, dry mustard, salt and pepper; stir until cheese is melted. Pour over cauliflower.
In small bowl, mix together bread crumbs, grated Parmesan cheese and chopped fresh parsley; sprinkle over cauliflower mixture.
Bake in 400°F (200°C) oven until casserole is bubbly and light golden, about 15 minutes.
More cauliflower recipes:
Nutritional facts <b>Per serving:</b> about
- Sodium 888 mg
- Protein 26 g
- Calories 464.0
- Total fat 27 g
- Cholesterol 86 mg
- Saturated fat 17 g
- Total carbohydrate 30 g
- Iron 13.0
- Folate 50.0
- Calcium 66.0
- Vitamin A 31.0
- Vitamin C 130.0