- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: November 2004
- 2 cups medium-grain Japanese rice or Italian short grain rice
Chicken & Egg:
- 12 oz boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 1 1/3 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin (or 1 tbsp (15 mL) each cider_vinegar and corn syrup)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 4 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
In large saucepan, bring 2-1/2 cups (625 mL) water to boil; add rice and return to boil. Cover and reduce heat to low; simmer until no liquid remains, 12 minutes. With fork, gently stir twice. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
Chicken and Egg: Meanwhile, cut chicken into bite-size cubes. In nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute chicken and onion until browned, about 5 minutes.
In measuring cup, whisk stock, soy sauce, mirin and sugar; pour into skillet and bring to boil. Cover and simmer until thickened slightly and chicken is no longer pink inside, 5 minutes.
In thin stream, pour in eggs; sprinkle with half of the green onions. Cover and cook until egg is set, 2 minutes. Divide rice among 4 soup bowls. Top with egg mixture; sprinkle with remaining onions.
More chicken recipes:
Nutritional facts <b>Per serving:</b> about
- Sodium 1368 mg
- Protein 31 g
- Calories 611.0
- Total fat 13 g
- Cholesterol 257 mg
- Saturated fat 3 g
- Total carbohydrate 87 g
- Iron 18.0
- Folate 20.0
- Calcium 5.0
- Vitamin A 10.0
- Vitamin C 8.0