Plump chicken thighs are made special with tender sweet potatoes, perfect for sharing with friends and family.
- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: February 2005
- 2 sweet potatoes (about 1 lb/500 g)
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 sweet green pepper coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
Peel sweet potatoes. Cut potatoes and chicken into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes. Set sweet potatoes aside. In large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil over medium-high heat; brown chicken, about 10 minutes. Transfer to plate.
Drain fat from pan; heat remaining oil over medium heat. Fry onion, green pepper, garlic, ginger, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper, stirring often, until onion is softened, 4 minutes.
Add sweet potatoes and chicken stock; bring to boil. Return chicken and any juices to pan; cover and simmer until juices run clear when chicken is pierced and sweet potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Uncover and cook over high heat until sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutritional facts <b>Per serving:</b> about
- Sodium 890 mg
- Protein 48 g
- Calories 500.0
- Total fat 20 g
- Cholesterol 188 mg
- Saturated fat 4 g
- Total carbohydrate 31 g
- Iron 28.0
- Folate 18.0
- Calcium 6.0
- Vitamin A 177.0
- Vitamin C 80.0