If your family likes it spicy, increase the chipotle chili to taste. Concerned about sodium? Replace sodium-reduced chicken broth with water and look for no-salt-added canned beans.
- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: November 2011
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thigh cubed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce seeded and chopped
- 3/4 cups sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 1 can black bean drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
MethodToss chicken with half each of the chili powder, salt and pepper. In large Dutch oven, heat half of the oil over medium-high heat; brown chicken. Transfer to bowl.
Heat remaining oil in pan over medium heat; cook onion, garlic and remaining chili powder, salt and pepper, stirring occasionally and scraping up browned bits, until softened, about 5 minutes.
Stir in rice and chipotle; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in broth and 1 cup water; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add chicken and black beans; cook, covered, until rice is tender and juices run clear when chicken is pierced, about 10 minutes. Stir in cilantro.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 738 mg
- Protein 33 g
- Calories 491.0
- Total fat 14 g
- Potassium 659 mg
- Cholesterol 94 mg
- Saturated fat 2 g
- Total carbohydrate 58 g
- Iron 25.0
- Folate 33.0
- Calcium 7.0
- Vitamin A 6.0
- Vitamin C 13.0