Cold, crunchy cabbage, kale and apples collide in a bowl of creamy dressed slaw.
- Prep time 20 minutes
- Total time 30 minutes
- Portion size 10 servings
- 6 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- 4 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt , divided
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise or sour cream
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar or white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups stemmed kale , thinly sliced
- 1 Granny Smith apple , cored and cut in matchsticks
In large bowl, using hands, rub green cabbage and red cabbage with 1 tsp of the salt, tossing to combine. Let stand for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar, oil, mustard, sugar, celery seeds, pepper and remaining 1/4 tsp salt.
Add kale, apple and dressing to cabbage mixture; toss to coat. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.
Test Kitchen Make-Ahead: Refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Toss with an additional tablespoon of vinegar before serving.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Fibre 2 g
- Sodium 447 mg
- Sugars 6 g
- Protein 1 g
- Calories 111
- Total fat 8 g
- Potassium 201 mg
- Cholesterol 3 mg
- Saturated fat 1 g
- Total carbohydrate 9 g
- Iron 6
- Folate 6
- Calcium 4
- Vitamin C 68