Much like the French, we love adding a poached egg to our salads. Serve up this bistro classic for a tasty and satisfying lunch or dinner.
- Prep time 35 minutes
- Total time 35 minutes
- Portion size 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- Half shallot , minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped tarragon
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 slices bread (3/4 inch thick), cubed
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups cress or pea shoots
- 2 cups sugar snap peas , sliced
- 1 1/2 cup canned cannellini beans , drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cubed halloumi
- Half head fennel , cored and thinly sliced
- 4 radishes , thinly sliced
Tarragon Vinaigrette: In small bowl, whisk together vinegar, shallot, mustard and salt; gradually whisk in oil in thin steady stream. Stir in tarragon; set aside.
Salad: In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; add bread, tossing to coat. Cook bread in single layer, stirring occasionally, until toasted, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to paper towel–lined plate; set aside.
In large saucepan, add enough water to come 2 to 3 inches up side; bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer; stir in vinegar. Crack 1 egg into small cup; gently slide egg into pan. Repeat with second egg; cook until whites are set but yolks are still slightly runny, 3 to 4 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer eggs to paper towel–lined plate to dry. Repeat with remaining eggs.
In large bowl, combine cress, snap peas, beans, halloumi, fennel and radishes. Drizzle with Tarragon Vinaigrette; toss to coat. Divide among 4 plates; top each with croutons and 1 egg.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Fibre 8 g
- Sodium 1056 mg
- Sugars 7 g
- Protein 23 g
- Calories 516
- Total fat 32 g
- Potassium 586 mg
- Cholesterol 224 mg
- Saturated fat 10 g
- Total carbohydrate 36 g
- Iron 29
- Folate 54
- Calcium 27
- Vitamin A 28
- Vitamin C 77