Serve these Asian-inspired skewers with steamed rice and a mixed greens stir-fry. Add a peanut dipping sauce alongside for the taste of homemade satay.
- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: June 2008
- 1/4 cup sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons sesame oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons minced gingerroot
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs quartered
- 1 onion
- 8 green onions cut_into 1-1/2-inch (4 cm) pieces
MethodIn large bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup (50 mL) water, soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, garlic, ginger and hot pepper flakes until sugar is dissolved. Add chicken and toss to coat; let stand for 15 minutes, turning several times.
Cut onion into quarters; separate into pieces three layers thick.
Alternately thread chicken, onion and green onions onto skewers, reserving marinade.
Place on greased grill over medium heat; close lid and grill, turning once and brushing with marinade halfway through, until juices run clear when chicken is pierced, 12 to 15 minutes.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 636 mg
- Protein 24 g
- Calories 236.0
- Total fat 11 g
- Cholesterol 95 mg
- Saturated fat 2 g
- Total carbohydrate 11 g
- Iron 15.0
- Folate 13.0
- Calcium 4.0
- Vitamin A 5.0
- Vitamin C 13.0