This twist on an old favourite brings new life to a simple Caesar salad. Using mayonnaise instead of a raw egg makes an easy instant dressing.
- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: August 2013
- 2/3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2)
- 4 eggs
- 1 demi-baguettes thinly sliced diagonally
- 1 clove garlic halved
- 2 romaine lettuce hearts halved
- 1/2 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
Creamy Caesar Dressing:
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 anchovy fillets minced (or 1 tsp anchovy paste)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
MethodCreamy Caesar Dressing: In small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, anchovies, garlic and pepper; drizzle in oil, whisking constantly until combined.
Remove 2 tbsp dressing to separate bowl; add chicken and toss to coat. Let stand for 10 minutes.
Whisk mayonnaise into remaining dressing; set aside.
Meanwhile, in small saucepan, pour in enough water to come at least 1 inch (2.5 cm) above eggs. Cover and bring to boil over high heat; boil for 4 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water; drain again. Peel eggs and cut in half. Divide among 4 plates.
Place chicken on greased grill over medium-high heat; close lid and grill, turning once, until juices run clear when chicken is pierced, 12 to 15 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes. Slice and divide among plates.
Add bread to grill; grill, covered and turning once, until toasted, about 2 minutes. Rub cut sides of garlic all over bread; divide among plates.
Add romaine hearts, cut sides down, to grill over medium-high heat; grill, covered, until grill-marked and just wilting, 1 to 2 minutes. Divide among plates. Top with dressing and Parmesan cheese.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Fibre 4 g
- Sodium 706 mg
- Sugars 3 g
- Protein 33 g
- Calories 483.0
- Total fat 27 g
- Potassium 635 mg
- Cholesterol 238 mg
- Saturated fat 6 g
- Total carbohydrate 28 g
- Iron 26.0
- Folate 75.0
- Calcium 20.0
- Vitamin A 66.0
- Vitamin C 37.0