A peppery cream sauce speckled with fragrant thyme makes these individual pot pies the ultimate weeknight comfort food. Look for a packaged whole grain blend that cooks in 15 minutes or less to ensure the grains become tender while you're baking the pies.
- Prep time 25 minutes
- Total time 40 minutes
- Portion size 4 servings
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking whole grain blend (such as PC Blue Menu Brown Rice With Barley and Spelt Blend)
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 carrots finely chopped
- 1 rib celery finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped cremini mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded cooked skinless turkey breast
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 1/3 cup whipping cream (35%)
- 3/4 teaspoons each salt and pepper
- 1 sheet (half 450 g pkg) frozen butter puff pastry thawed
- 1 egg
In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook grains, onion, carrot, celery and mushrooms, stirring occasionally, until grains are beginning to soften and onion is translucent, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and thyme; cook, stirring, until fragrant. Add flour, stirring to coat; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
Increase heat to medium-high. Stir in broth; bring to simmer. Cook, stirring often, until thickened, about 8 minutes. Stir in turkey, peas, cream, salt and pepper; bring to simmer. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Divide among four 12-oz (350 mL) mini soufflé dishes. Set aside.
On lightly floured work surface, roll out pastry into 10-inch (25 cm) square; cut into 4 equal squares. Place 1 square over each mini soufflé dish; cut 4 steam vents in top of each. Whisk egg with 1 tsp water; lightly brush over pastry.
Bake on rimmed baking sheet in 450°F (230°C) oven until pastry is puffed and golden and filling is bubbly, about 15 minutes. Let stand for 5 minute before serving.
Nutritional facts per serving: about
- Fibre 5 g
- Sodium 994 mg
- Sugars 6 g
- Protein 30 g
- Calories 542.0
- Total fat 25 g
- Potassium 484 mg
- Cholesterol 96 mg
- Saturated fat 13 g
- Total carbohydrate 48 g
- Iron 25.0
- Folate 17.0
- Vitamin A 49.0
- Vitamin C 8.0