Reminiscent of Vietnamese pho, this noodle soup starts with a flavourful broth that takes a fraction of the usual time to prepare. Serve with lime wedges and Asian chili sauce on the side.
- Prep time 20 minutes
- Total time 30 minutes
- Portion size 4 servings
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 450 g boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 teaspoons hoisin sauce
- 170 g rice stick noodles (1/4-inch/5 mm wide)
- 8 thin slices fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 2 fresh cilantro with roots
- 1/4 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1 pkg (900 ml) sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 6 heads bok choy trimmed (root ends attached) and halved
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
MethodIn large nonstick skillet, heat half of the vegetable oil over medium-high heat; cook chicken, turning once, until browned all over, about 8 minutes.
Transfer chicken to parchment paper– lined baking sheet; brush with hoisin sauce. Roast in 400°F (200°C) oven until no longer pink inside, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool enough to handle; thinly slice and set aside.
Cook noodles according to package instructions; drain and set aside.
Meanwhile, in large saucepan, heat remaining vegetable oil over medium heat; cook ginger, garlic, cilantro stems and five-spice powder, stirring, for 1 minute.
Add broth, soy sauce and 2 cups water; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Using slotted spoon, discard ginger, garlic and cilantro stems. Stir in bok choy; simmer until softened, 2 to 4 minutes.
To serve, divide noodles, bok choy, broth mixture and chicken among 4 bowls. Sprinkle with green onions and chopped cilantro; drizzle with sesame oil.
Nutritional facts per serving: about
- Fibre 3 g
- Sodium 948 mg
- Sugars 4 g
- Protein 32 g
- Calories 357.0
- Total fat 6 g
- Potassium 814 mg
- Cholesterol 66 mg
- Saturated fat 1 g
- Total carbohydrate 42 g
- Iron 16.0
- Folate 29.0
- Calcium 13.0
- Vitamin A 52.0
- Vitamin C 57.0