Serve with a small bowl of chili garlic sauce for an authentic spicy finish in their Hot & Sour Soup.
- Prep time 30 minutes
- Total time 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 green onions (white and green parts separated), thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 1-inch piece ginger , peeled and julienned (about 1 tbsp)
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 2 cups sliced stemmed shiitake mushrooms
- 1 carrot , halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 350 g pkg extra-firm tofu , drained and cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 7 cups sodium-reduced vegetable broth or chicken broth, warmed
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup thinly sliced trimmed snow peas
- 2 eggs , lightly beaten
In large pot, heat oil over medium heat; cook white parts of green onions, the garlic, ginger and hot pepper flakes for 1 minute. Increase heat to medium-high. Add mushrooms and carrot; cook until carrot begins to soften, about 3 minutes. Add tofu; cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes. Increase heat to high. Add broth; cover and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
Whisk cornstarch with 2 tbsp water; stir into broth mixture. Increase heat to high. Stir in vinegar, soy sauce, sugar and snow peas; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer until slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from heat; drizzle in eggs in thin steady stream, stirring constantly. Sprinkle with green parts of green onions; serve immediately.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Nutritional facts Per each of 6 servings: about
- Fibre 3 g
- Sodium 317 mg
- Sugars 6 g
- Protein 12 g
- Calories 199
- Total fat 11 g
- Potassium 300 mg
- Cholesterol 64 mg
- Saturated fat 1 g
- Total carbohydrate 14 g