- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: October 2010
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion , sliced
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 large baking potato , peeled and cubed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 6 cups chopped leaves (about half bunch
- 1 can white kidney beans , drained and rinsed
- 8 oz (250 g) summer sausage , cubed
MethodIn large Dutch oven, heat half of the oil over medium heat; cook onion and garlic, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
Add potato, bay leaf and paprika; cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
Pour in 4 cups (1 L) water, salt and pepper; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until potato is tender-firm, about 10 minutes.
Add kale and beans; simmer until kale is tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
Meanwhile, in skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat; fry sausage until browned. Sprinkle over bowlfuls of soup to serve.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 900 mg
- Protein 19 g
- Calories 497.0
- Total fat 25 g
- Potassium 1208 mg
- Cholesterol 39 mg
- Saturated fat 7 g
- Total carbohydrate 54 g
- Iron 29.0
- Folate 38.0
- Calcium 20.0
- Vitamin A 141.0
- Vitamin C 192.0