The combination of sweet orange, savoury salmon and fresh herbs makes this pasta salad a tasty, healthful option. If you like, serve smaller portions as a side dish at your next gathering.
- Prep time 325 minutes
- Total time 30 minutes
- Portion size 4 servings
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon liquid honey
- 1 clove garlic finely grated or pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 450 g skinless salmon fillets
- pinch each salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 1/2 orzo
- 2 cups snow peas trimmed and sliced diagonally
- 8 cups baby arugula
- 2 cups watercress leaves or living cress leaves
MethodOrange-Chive Dressing: In small bowl, whisk together orange zest, orange juice, chives, mustard, honey, garlic, salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in oil. Set aside.
Salad: Sprinkle salmon with salt and pepper. Stir together parsley, mustard and orange zest; spread over salmon. Place on lightly greased foil-lined rimmed baking sheet. Bake in 400°F (200°C) oven until fish flakes easily when tested, about 15 minutes. Remove to cutting board; chop or break apart into large chunks.
While salmon is baking, in large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook orzo until almost al dente, about 8 minutes. Add snow peas and cook until orzo is al dente and peas are bright green and tender-crisp, about 30 seconds. Drain.
In large bowl, toss together orzo mixture, arugula, watercress and dressing. Gently fold in salmon.
Tip from The Test Kitchen: If you'd like leftovers, set some salad and dressing aside before tossing together. That way, your next-day salad stays nice and crisp.
Nutritional facts per serving: about
- Fibre 4 g
- Sodium 714 mg
- Sugars 6 g
- Protein 32 g
- Calories 635.0
- Total fat 31 g
- Potassium 721 mg
- Cholesterol 55 mg
- Saturated fat 4 g
- Total carbohydrate 56 g
- Iron 21.0
- Folate 43.0
- Calcium 11.0
- Vitamin A 20.0
- Vitamin C 75.0