Tender-crisp green beans and mashed potatoes are perfect fuss-free sides. Tip:?You can substitute any dry white wine you have on-hand for the Marsala in this recipe.
- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: December 2008
- 8 pork loin centre chops (1 lb/500 g)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 6 oz button mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1/2 cup sweet Marsala wine
- 1/2 cup sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon butter softened
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
MethodTrim pork; sprinkle with half each of the salt and pepper. Dredge in all but 1 tsp (5 mL) of the flour. In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; cook pork, in batches and turning once, until just a hint of pink remains inside and juices run clear when pork is pierced, about 5 minutes. Transfer to plate.
Saute shallot and garlic until softened, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms, Italian seasoning and remaining salt and pepper; saute, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes.
Add Marsala; cook until reduced by half. Add broth and 1/4 cup (50 mL) water; reduce heat and simmer until reduced by half, about 2 minutes.
Meanwhile, mash butter with remaining 1 tsp (5 mL) flour; stir into sauce and cook until thickened. Return pork to pan; heat through. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 421 mg
- Protein 29 g
- Calories 276.0
- Total fat 11 g
- Cholesterol 59 mg
- Saturated fat 3 g
- Total carbohydrate 9 g
- Iron 11.0
- Folate 8.0
- Calcium 2.0
- Vitamin A 1.0
- Vitamin C 3.0