If you like a little spice, add a few canned chipotles in adobo sauce.
- Prep time 20 minutes
- Total time 40 minutes
- 2 cups sauce from Hearty Italian Pot Roast (recipe under method)
- 1 cup bottled strained tomatoes (passata)
- 2 tablespoons minced pickled jalapeño peppers
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon each dried oregano and cumin
- 3 1/2 cups loosely packed shredded Hearty Italian Pot Roast (recipe under method)
- 1 can (540 ml) sodium-reduced black beans , drained and rinsed
- Half jar (370 ml) sliced roasted red peppers , drained and chopped
- 10 8-inch soft flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 green onion , sliced
- sour cream (optional)
- sliced avocado (optional)
In small saucepan, stir together pot roast sauce, tomatoes, 1 tbsp of the jalapeño peppers, the chili powder, oregano and cumin over medium heat. Cook, stirring often, until bubbly, about 5 minutes.
Spread about 1/2 cup of the sauce in bottom of 13- x 9-inch (3 l) baking dish. In large bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cups of the sauce, remaining jalapeño peppers, Hearty Italian Pot Roast, black beans and red peppers.
Spoon heaping 1/3 cup of the beef mixture onto centre of each tortilla; roll up. Arrange, seam side down, in single layer in baking dish. Pour remaining sauce over top. Sprinkle with Monterey Jack.
Bake in 375°F oven until Monterey Jack is melted and bubbly, about 20 minutes. Garnish with green onion. Serve with sour cream and avocado (if using).
Makes 10 enchiladas.
Get the recipe: Hearty Italian Pot Roast
Nutritional facts Per enchilada: about
- Fibre 5 g
- Sodium 695 mg
- Sugars 4 g
- Protein 25 g
- Calories 319
- Total fat 12 g
- Potassium 598 mg
- Cholesterol 50 mg
- Saturated fat 5 g
- Total carbohydrate 28 g
- Iron 29
- Fibre 0.0
- Folate 32
- Sodium 0.0
- Sugars 0.0
- Calcium 17
- Protein 0.0
- Calories 0.0
- Total fat 0.0
- Vitamin A 21
- Vitamin C 45
- Potassium 0.0
- Cholesterol 0.0
- Saturated fat 0.0
- Total carbohydrate 0.0