A box of fusilli, a handful of herbs and a few pantry ingredients turn last night's roast turkey into tonight's fresh and easy main. Sweet caramelized onions and a touch of broth coat this quick pasta, which features a zesty dressing that's tossed in at the last minute.
- Prep time 30 minutes
- Total time 30 minutes
- Portion size 4 servings
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon caper drained, rinsed and chopped
- 1 clove garlic finely grated or pressed
- 6 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 375 g fusilli pasta
- 2 onions sliced
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- pinch each granulated sugar, salt and pepper
- 2 cups shredded skinless roast turkey or chickens (white or dark meat)
- 2/3 cups sodium-reduced chicken broth
MethodIn small bowl, stir together parsley, capers, garlic, 2 tsp of the oil, the lemon zest and lemon juice. Set aside.
In large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions. Reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid, drain. Set aside.
While pasta is cooking, in large nonstick skillet, heat remaining oil over medium heat; cook onions, stirring occasionally, until softened and golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Add vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add turkey and broth; cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 3 minutes.
Stir in pasta and reserved cooking liquid, tossing to coat. Stir in parsley mixture.
Nutritional facts per serving: about
- Fibre 4 g
- Sodium 558 mg
- Sugars 4 g
- Protein 33 g
- Calories 559.0
- Total fat 13 g
- Potassium 414 mg
- Cholesterol 48 mg
- Saturated fat 2 g
- Total carbohydrate 76 g
- Iron 34.0
- Folate 106.0
- Calcium 5.0
- Vitamin A 6.0
- Vitamin C 23.0