Alongside turkey and gravy, stuffing is always a favourite on the Thanksgiving table. Here, we used sourdough bread and added Granny Smith apples to create a stuffing worthy of making every year.
- Prep time 30 minutes
- Total time 1 hour & 30 minutes
- Portion size 8 servings
- 1 loaf sourdough bread , cut in 3/4-inch cubes (about 10 cups)
- 680 g sweet Italian sausage , casings removed
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 3 stalks celery , diced
- 1 large sweet onion , finely chopped
- 3 large Granny Smith apples , peeled, cored and diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each pepper and fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage leaves
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth , warmed
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Toast bread in single layer on large rimmed baking sheet until golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer to large bowl.
In nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium heat, breaking up with spoon, until browned, about 8 minutes. Add to bread.
In same skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat; sauté celery and onion for 5 minutes. Add apples, salt, pepper and fennel seeds; cook, stirring occasionally, until apples begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in sage and lemon zest; toss with bread mixture.
Pour broth over bread mixture; toss to coat. Transfer to prepared pan; cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil; bake until top is golden, about 30 minutes. Serve warm.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Fibre 3 g
- Sodium 1392 mg
- Sugars 12 g
- Protein 19 g
- Calories 470
- Total fat 24 g
- Potassium 463 mg
- Cholesterol 73 mg
- Saturated fat 11 g
- Total carbohydrate 47 g
- Iron 17
- Folate 31
- Calcium 5
- Vitamin A 8
- Vitamin C 8