This chowder is inspired by pot pie, but instead of baking the pastry-topped casserole, the pastry and filling are made separately and assembled at the last minute. If you're in a rush, you can serve the chowder with crusty rolls instead.
- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: December 2011
- 1/2 pkg (450 g pkg) frozen rolled butter puff pastry thawed
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 leek (white and light green parts only), thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 1/2 cup clam juice
- 1/2 cup 10% cream
- 1 lb frozen large shrimp thawed, peeled and deveined
- 2/3 lbs cod fillets cut in 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- 2/3 lbs white fish fillets cut in 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
MethodCut pastry into quarters; cut each in half to form 8 triangles. Place on parchment paper–lined baking sheet; brush with egg. Bake in 400ºF (200ºC) oven until puffed and golden, 18 to 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, in large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; cook leek, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 4 minutes.
Add flour; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in broth, clam juice and cream; cook, stirring, until slightly thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
Stir in shrimp, fish, tarragon, lemon zest, lemon juice and pepper; cook over medium-high heat until shrimp are pink and fish is opaque, 5 to 6 minutes. Divide among soup bowls. Serve with puff pastry.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 574 mg
- Protein 39 g
- Calories 561.0
- Total fat 31 g
- Potassium 645 mg
- Cholesterol 234 mg
- Saturated fat 9 g
- Total carbohydrate 31 g
- Iron 31.0
- Folate 27.0
- Calcium 11.0
- Vitamin A 14.0
- Vitamin C 13.0