A little bacon adds great flavour to this dish. Make your prep easy by transferring the frozen shrimp to the refrigerator in the morning so they thaw in time for dinner. Serve with a simple salad.
- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: May 2013
- 3 strips sodium-reduced bacon chopped
- 1 lb frozen raw extra-jumbo shrimp (size 16/20), thawed, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 1/2 sweet red pepper diced
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 3 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 1/2 cup frozen shelled edamame
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons herb-and-garlic cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
MethodIn nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crispy, 4 to 6 minutes; transfer to paper towel–lined plate. Drain all but 1 tsp fat from pan.
Add shrimp to pan; cook, stirring occasionally, until pink, 3 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle with half of the pepper; transfer to plate and keep warm.
In same pan, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion, red pepper and garlic until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
Add corn, edamame, salt and remaining pepper to pan; cook, stirring, until warmed through, about 6 minutes.
Stir in cream cheese until melted. Stir in bacon and lemon juice. Serve shrimp on corn mixture; sprinkle with cilantro.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Fibre 5 g
- Sodium 236 mg
- Sugars 7 g
- Protein 29 g
- Calories 342.0
- Total fat 12 g
- Potassium 776 mg
- Cholesterol 149 mg
- Saturated fat 4 g
- Total carbohydrate 33 g
- Iron 28.0
- Folate 90.0
- Calcium 9.0
- Vitamin A 15.0
- Vitamin C 58.0