- Portion size 8 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: December 2006
- 2 sweet potatoes cut into 3/4-inch (2cm) thick rounds
- 1 pkg pearl onion peeled
- 3 lbs pork shoulder blade boneless roasts
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (approx)
- 1 1/2 cup sodium-reduced chicken stock
- 1/2 cup port or sodium-reduced chicken stock (or dry red wine and 1 tsp/5 mL granulated sugar)
- 1 cup pitted prune
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
MethodIn slow cooker, mix sweet potatoes with pearl onions.
Trim fat from pork; sprinkle with pepper and salt. In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown pork, adding more oil if necessary. Transfer to slow cooker.
Drain fat from skillet. Add stock and port; bring to boil, scraping up brown bits from bottom of pan. Add to slow cooker.
Add prunes, bay leaves, sage, thyme and mustard to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for about 6 hours or until meat is tender. Transfer meat and vegetables to platter; tent with foil. Discard bay leaves.
Whisk flour with 1/3 cup (75 mL) water; whisk into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 15 minutes or until thickened. Slice meat; serve with sauce and vegetables.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 308 mg
- Protein 29 g
- Calories 357.0
- Total fat 12 g
- Cholesterol 89 mg
- Saturated fat 4 g
- Total carbohydrate 35 g
- Iron 20.0
- Folate 11.0
- Calcium 5.0
- Vitamin A 114.0
- Vitamin C 20.0