Rich cashew butter makes a special addition to this vegetarian curry dish.
- Portion size 8 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: December 2006
- 2 cups cubed peeled butternut squashes
- 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1 can chickpea drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon minced gingerroot
- 3 tablespoons mild curry paste
- 1 can light coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup natural cashew butter or peanut butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups packed shredded Swiss chard
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
MethodIn slow cooker, combine squash, potato and chickpeas.
In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; fry onion, garlic and ginger, stirring occasionally, until onion is light golden, about 7 minutes. Add curry paste; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add to slow cooker.
Add coconut milk and stock to slow cooker; stir in cashew butter and salt. Cover and cook on low for about 4 hours or until vegetables are tender.
Stir in Swiss chard and peas. Cover and cook on high for about 15 minutes or until Swiss chard wilts. Sprinkle with coriander.
Nutritional facts Per each of 8 servings: about
- Sodium 543 mg
- Protein 6 g
- Calories 217.0
- Total fat 8 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Saturated fat 3 g
- Total carbohydrate 32 g
- Iron 11.0
- Folate 25.0
- Calcium 4.0
- Vitamin A 50.0
- Vitamin C 23.0