Our tender beef Stroganoff can be made in less time but with just as much flavour as the classic Russian version. Seared steak, folded in near the end, is our sneaky cheat.
- Prep time 40 minutes
- Total time 45 minutes
- 450 g top sirloin grilling steaks , cut in 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 pkg (each 227 g) button mushrooms , quartered
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Half red onion , thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups sodium-reduced beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 pkg (340 g) broad egg noodles
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
Sprinkle beef with 1/2 tsp each of the salt and pepper. In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over high heat; working in 2 batches, cook beef, stirring frequently, until browned, 6 to 7 minutes. Transfer to bowl; set aside.
In same pan, melt butter over medium heat; cook mushrooms, garlic powder and remaining salt and pepper, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Add red onion and thyme; cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
In bowl, whisk together broth, mustard and Worcestershire sauce; pour into pan. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. In small bowl, whisk cornstarch with water; stir into pan. Cook, stirring often, until slightly thickened, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream.
Meanwhile, in large saucepan of boiling water, cook noodles according to package directions; drain.
Fold beef and parsley into sour cream mixture; serve over noodles.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Get the recipe: Red Cabage & Caraway Coleslaw
A tart slaw cuts the richness of this creamy Stroganoff.
Nutritional facts Per each of 6 servings: about
- Fibre 3 g
- Sodium 730 mg
- Sugars 3 g
- Protein 21 g
- Calories 326
- Total fat 10 g
- Potassium 454 mg
- Cholesterol 70 mg
- Saturated fat 4 g
- Total carbohydrate 38 g